Re: Slow growers (was: Aggie "Alenquer")

No problem bob, we are just sharing notes. However I must comment on
one point.

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:
However, I think (operative word here isthink, not
know beyond a reasonable doubt) that long separations are hard on
the'loving
couple's' pair bond.

David rights:
"pair bond" Most Apisto's are harem spawners and form one parent
families(the male indirectly affording protection to the young, by
protecting his territory) and even cichlids that are quote  monagoumos
(or form two parent families) its been documented by many experts such
as Dr.Paul V. loiselle, that its just two fish who's reproductive
cycles are in synchrony. In the aquarium this effect is even more
pronounced. Long seperations? hell Bob my male borellii's,
cacatoudies, agassizii's will spawn with as many females as they can
get at. LOL This is common knowledge , and the foundation of the
basics of Apisto keeping.

Dave

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Dave writes:
>
> > The aquarium is not the wild. So we must treat it diffrently at
times.
> >  It has been my experience that females that have their eggs taken
away
> >  are disoriented and easily beat up by their tankmates.
>
> That hasn't happened for me because I tend to keep them in breeding
tanks.   I
> also am not prone to pulling eggs, though I have done it on
occassion.

> >I prefer to sit
> >  and enjoy her raising her young and giving her some time to rest
and
> >  recuperate, my opinion. Do you have data to prove this or is this
your
> >  assumption?
>
> It is pure assumption based on observations of a number of cichlid
species.  I
> have seen gravid female angels keeping their tummies round for very
long
> periods of time.  But when conditions in the tank fall out of their
> parameters, the roundness disappears almost overnight.  It takes
only a couple
> days to get it back again when the tank is corrected.  And I've had
them lay
> 400 eggs every 8 days for months.  Not long enough for them to "rest
and build
> up" their egg supply.
>
> >This is how i do things it works just fine for me and i
> >  produce a fair share of healthy Apisto's. I have a surplus of
fish so
> >  by resting my females I am also getting more blood and genetic
> >  variability into my line, because i use another female who is just
> >  waiting in line. Dont be so quick to judge how others do things we
> >  must use this list to learn from each others experiences.
>
> If I came off as judgemental, I apologize.  I have been a vehement
defender of
> every person on this list whose practices are not what someone else
thinks
> they should be.  I'm not saying you can't do it that way.  That
would be
> ludicrous.  It works for you and gives you the quantity and quality
of fish
> you desire.  Not to mention the satisfaction that keeps you at it.
But when I
> watch how much more twitchy and nervous my  females are while they
are tending
> fry, I can't see any advantage for them being compelled to do it for
a month
> without a break.  It seems to me that separating them after a week
or so is
> more consistent with nature and easier on the females.  Separating
the parents
> that soon does not mean I am forcing them to spawn again.  I don't
immediately
> return her to her male.  However, I think (operative word here is
think, not
> know beyond a reasonable doubt) that long separations are hard on
the 'loving
> couple's' pair bond.
>
> As for my fry taking longer to mature, I credit ot to raising them
on a
> limiting diet of BBS almost exclusively.  Some day I will buy a
house and set
> up a serious operation complete with five or six live cultures,
including
> vinegar eels, micro worms, and whatever else I can think of that is
small
> enough for feeding fry.  I also think (there's that operative word
again) that
> they will take the better part of a year in the wild.
>
> Bob

Archives"!