Re: Re:Slow growers (was: Aggie "Alenquer")

---John Wubbolt <BigJohnW@webtv.net> wrote:
I do 30 % water changes every 2 weeks.
Any more then that and I upset the fish.

Gosh upset the fish by doing water changes?????????? That goes against
everything I know there is to be succesful in keeping apisto's. With
the heaving feedings that you claim that your doing you really should
consider at least once a week water changes especialy on fry. It has
been my experience that water changes are a very key factor in just
about eliminating the threat of disease, growing out strong healty
fish, and being a succesfull breeder. What typ of water are you using?
tap? r.o.? d.i.? do you precondition it? let it sit and aereate? I
couldnt imagine doing a mere 30% every two weeks, honestly i'm not
surprised there growing so slow! Again this is common knowledge. At
the importers when our apisto's come in from the wild the workers do
heavy heavy daily 50%+ water changes on the Apisto's, on some even
more!, they know that this is a limiting factor and the road to
getting most of them to survive.When I go there i always wear old
shoes! because the floors are soaked. When I get my wild fish home I
have 55 gallon quarintine tanks that i do daily water changes on and
experience has proven this to be very succesfull.

Dave

---John Wubbolt <BigJohnW@webtv.net> wrote:

> My experience has been about the same as Bob's.    My Cacatuoides
color
> up at 3 months such that I can easily tell males from females with a
90%
> accuracy.   But they won't spawn until about 6 to 7 months.   This
holds
> pretty much for all of the others I keep.   If I take a pair of
> Cacatuoides out of the grow out tank and put just a young male and
> female into a 10 gallon by themselves, yes they grow quicker than the
> rest in the grow out tank.   I do 30 % water changes every 2 weeks.
> Any more then that and I upset the fish.   If you ( Dave) have fish
> maturing at 4 months, God bless.   You must do massive water changes
and
> feed real heavy.  I use black worms, tetra bits, frozen and live brine
> shrimp and flake foods as my apistos diet.  I feed once in the morning
> and once in the early afternoon before I head to work.
> My fish also live to the 3 to 4 year age but reallly stop being good
> spawners after 2 years.   They still spawn after that but its only
every
> 3 or 4 months then.   By then the males are big lunkers at about 4
> inches and just want to eat.
> John Wubbolt

Archives"!