Re: Murex shrimp

Fi205sh@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Lee glad to hear you took my advice on FBS. Do you know if the enriched
> Murex shrimp are available in the states & what do they call it. I tried the
> regular but my fish eat SF Bay brand better.
> Tom W.

Hi Tom (and anyone else interested),

The enriched (with Aglamac and Selco - HUFA's) is sold in the U.S. by
Aquaculture Supply in Tampa, FL. Frank Hoff is the contact; tel (352)
567-8540. The enriched Artemia are sent from Canada, they are frozen in
less than twelve minutes while they are alive. Upon thawing, the body of
the shrimp is fully intact. The company (Murex) is still experimenting
with the fatty acid profiles - at the time being the focus is on
aquaculture applications (food shrimp broodstock maturation), but I've
suggested that Artemia enriched with fatty acid profiles specifically
for freshwater fish would also find a ready market.

Hope this helps.

Lee
Vancouver