Re: Dwarf Pike Cichlids

> Sounds like you have Crenicichla regani.  Since you said the smallest ones
> are only two inches, you may want to wait till they are a little bigger to
> see if the females develop the dorsal fin spots.
That was suggested also.

> There are a few dwarf pikes that do not have dorsal fin spots on the
> females.
I looked for photos on your site on the ones you listed, but didn't see
any. I, too, doubt that they are other than regani. I don't really trust
the person that actually brought them into the auction so I'm trying to
id them myself.

> I have a couple of female C. regani  and I may bring them up to one of the
> Pacific Coast CIchlid Assoc. meeting sometime.  I usually make it up there a
> few times a year and I am the speaker for November '99, speaking on...what
> else?  Pikes. :-)
That is great! We go every month, which is tomorrow night. We will be
looking forward to you speaking!

> Linke and Staeck has some info on them.  Konings' 'Enjoying Cichlids' is
> pretty good.  Cichlids Yearbook 5 or 6 has an excellent article on them by
> Frank Warzel.  Wayne Leibel's farewell issue of Buntbarsche Bulletin
> (December 1992 issue # 153), an issue dedicated to pike cichlids has some
> good info in it.  If you can read German, try Stawikowsk and Werner's
> classic.  Cichlid News has a manuscript from me about these species but I
> dont know when it will be published.  This issue of ACARA, Journal of the
> South American Study Group has an article on them.  Frank Warzel is supposed
> to speak at ACA'99 in Detroit, where he will no doubt share some info on
> these fish.
I don't have the books you mention above. I guess I need to get some new
books!

> I have some info on them at my page.  Check it out.  There are
> some photos and some husbandry info
I looked at them and I got a lot of info from it. That is how I knew the
females were supposed to have spots on the dorsal. I try to do the same
thing myself. Take photos of males and females. It is very helpful for
identifying fish by shape and coloration.

> Hope that helps.
Yes, it did. I will keep them for a while to see if the smaller ones
develop the black spots in the dorsal. I do hope so. They are really
pretty fish. I've never kept pikes before so this will be an interesting
species for me to work with.

Thank you for the return email and info.

Kaycy

http://www.calweb.com/users/d/djhanson/index.htm