Re: Surrogate mother update

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone bred A. sp tucurui?
> Jason

I haven't, but every article I've read on the species indicates that the males
are very aggressive and territorial to anything that isn't a female that's ready
to breed. Koslowski states that water conditions aren't important as long as they
aren't way out of line apisto wise, but that females are terrible mothers. They
just don't take care of their fry. From this I'd recommend a large (55 gal. or
larger) tank with lots of dithers and females. I'd also remove the fry as soon as
they're hatched. Now that's saying something from someone who believes in keeping
fry with their mother for at least 2-3 weeks!

Mike Wise