Re: Dwarf Pike Cichlids

Dwarf Pikes that have made their way into the US, other than the usual three
are:

1) Crenicichla sp.  Xingu dwarf - the smallest known pikes, grown at 2
inches.
2) C. sp Xingu dwarf II - recently exported by Marco to New Jersey and
eventually wound up at That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA.  Those of you in
Amish country may want to visit this place - it's huge.
3) C. sp. Maici Mirim - the females of these species have a thick wine red
dorsal fin band.
4) C. urosema by a few guys who went to Rio Tapajos about 4 years ago but is
no longer being kept.

A semi-dwarf pike C. sp. "Bocon" from the Rio Inirida system made it into
the states and I was able to purchase them in Sacramento, Calif. at Capitol
Aquarium.  These get to 4 or 5 inches.  They were labeled as "dwarf pikes"
but I think of them as a bridge species to much larger Spangled pikes of the
saxatilis group.

For the most part, Joel is right - the three he menioned are the ones you
usually see.  The Other Dwarf pikes of the genus Teleocichla are also
becoming available.  I've seen 3 species in the country.

Vinny
kutty@earthlink.net
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/