Re: Dwarf Pike Cichlids

Hi Ken

Crenicichla regani are not that hard to breed IF they have a few things they
need.  They are:
soft, acidic water, which your friend seems to have provided.  The eggs
usualy dont hatch if the pH is much higher than 6 but there are exceptions.
I'd maintain the pH in the upper 5s.  Of course, softer the water, the
better.   They should have a lot of cover in the form of floating plants,
leaf litter and driftwood.  They are cave spawners and need a dark, coconut
shell kind of spawning area.  They'd like thin hollowed out bamboo stems.
Just remember that they need a dark cave, preferably with a small opening.
These fish are typically found along the shores where the temperature is
high.  Keep them at 80-84°F (That's ~28-29°C).  The trick for most people is
feeding.  Feed VERY heavily with live foods and soon you'll see the bellies
of the females turning pink.  The females like to display by shoving their
pink tummies in the faces of passing males, who eventually succumb to the
flirts.