Re: mixing water

In article <000d01be3f3d$cfae1580$a7d6a1d1@default>, ALEX PASTOR
<alexp@idirect.com> writes
>Doesn't a 'water softener' exchange Ca ions with Na ions and thereby just
>increase water conductivity as in micro-siemens?  Might not this be worse
>for sensitive fish than just using a little bit of unsoftened tap water?  I
>would just add regular 'on tap' to get the hardness you are after.  Check
>www.thekrib.com to see if they have more info.  I've gotten a lot of help
>from the material on their site.
>
>G. Kadar

I've only just subscribed to this mailing list, so "hello" to everyone.

Something I've recently read about RO water is that it is actually too
pure to sustain life and therefore nutrients should be added to it. By
adding tap water you are effectively diluting the salts, not restoring
them fully. All life needs various elements, even copper!

Domestic water softeners are a no-no as they add sodium ions, so
apparently, aquatic softeners must do it differently (though they must
exchange one ion for another). Is this the same for rechargeable nitrate
removing resins (i.e. replacing nitrate with sodium) ?

Graham