Re: mixing water

I would just want to add as little back to the water as possible, and you
will be adding whatever pollutants your RO unit worked so hard to remove if
you put tap water back in. I have wood and plants in all tanks which must
help the buffering as my pH is always stable at 5.5-6. Do what you need to
do by all means though, different things work for different people and tap
water is certainly cheap if it does the job.

So anyway your real question seems to be do you want to add the ion
exchanged ("pre-softened") water or straight tap water. The straight tap
water will give more buffering per volume than the ion exchanged water so
you will be adding less overall with it.

>That is what I am trying to find out.  Am I doing more harm than good by
>adding softened water?  I have used additives like RO right and the like,
>but adding tap water is much cheaper.
>
>If I do not add anything thing to my RO water the PH is about 6.0 and drops
>pretty fast with no buffers in the water.

-Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com