Re: mixing water -Reply

In article <s69dc740.015@gwise.ama-assn.org>, William Vannerson
<William_Vannerson@ama-assn.org> writes
>>>Domestic water softeners are a no-no as they add sodium ions, ...<<
>
>As with many issues, there's always two sides to a story.  I use tap
>water that's processed by a domestic water softener.  However, I am
>not an active breeder.  But I have had spontaneous spawns under these
>conditions.  First my angels (Pterophyllum scalare), then Kribs
>(Pelvicachromis pulcher) and now my Lemon Yellow Labs
>(Labidochromis caeruleus).

As I mentioned, the views were only what I read - not those from
personal experience. I had doubts about the water softeners myself as
the original piece stated that the resins were harmful because they were
recharged with a salt solution, and worked by replacing the calcium ion
with sodium ions - hence softening water (when measured by a test kit).
And sodium ions made the water more alkaline(?). But surely rechargeable
nitrate removing resins must work the same way. Then again, nitrate ions
are negatively charged and so maybe are exchanged with chloride ions
(also negatively charged). No, can't be....

My apologies for the somewhat schizophrenic passage there, I was
thinking as I was typing. I'm going to write to a magazine with the
problem, and I'll let you know what they have to say for themselves.

Graham