Re: mixing water -Reply

>>Domestic water softeners are a no-no as they add sodium ions, ...<<

As with many issues, there's always two sides to a story.  I use tap
water that's processed by a domestic water softener.  However, I am
not an active breeder.  But I have had spontaneous spawns under these
conditions.  First my angels (Pterophyllum scalare), then Kribs
(Pelvicachromis pulcher) and now my Lemon Yellow Labs
(Labidochromis caeruleus).

The Yellow Labs were in a crowded 30-gallon tank with a bit piece of
bog wood and my tap water.  I didn't even know there was a spawn
until I ysyphoned the water out when I broke the tank down.  As I was
scooping the gravel out, I noticed one little fry in a small puddle in the
depression.  I wonder how many I syphoned down the drain?

Granted, these are not ideal conditions or the situation one would want
to create to breed more sensitive fish.  But they are the conditions in
which I live and have time for these days.  But my point is that there are
not always hard and fast rules or only one way to do things.

Although I will add that there's always one source of water that's
universally accepted as a source of good soft water for breeding or
raising sensitive fish... rain.  :-)

I'm not trying to contradict what's already been contributed.  Just pointing
out that there are often other ways or methods that can work.

My 2 cents worth.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson