Re: Soft water and Kribs

Mike,

The Common Krib, Pelvicachromis pulcher, is found in the Niger River drainage, in
areas with super soft water to its delta that can be considered almost brackish.
It really doesn't matter what the water is to them as long as it's wet. Jim
Langhammer (Curator Emeritus, Belle Isle Aquarium, Detroit) and Paul Loiselle
write that this species gives even sex ratios at around pH 7. This is why it's
been a commercial success since the 1960s while the other others disappeared, due
to a lack of understanding the effects of pH on the different species of kribs.

Mike Wise