Re: Borelli ID

I've been breeding the "opal" or yellow variety of A.borelii for many
years now because its one of my favorites. Its colors are simply
stunning and often I can be found infront of their rack just enjoying
one my pairs. I must say in general a female "opal" or just plain blue
borelii is just yellow with some black some dark black in the fins.
Altough I have had some females with some color in the from time time
it's probably a safe bet the ones you described are not a pair. And at
the price of $60 each, I would reccomend getting them from a reputable
breeder of the species or from your local Aquarium society and you can
be sure of what you get.

Dave

---Matthew Diller <mdiller@MAIL.LAWNET.FORDHAM.EDU> wrote:

> I spotted a magnificent pair of "red opals" in a LFS.  I am
concerned that they are too magnificent  ---- the "female" has the
same coloration  (red cheeks, bluish-yellow body, yellow orange fins)
as the male, but is a bit smaller & has shorter ventral fins. She has
the same overall body shape as the male. Is this likely to be a
smaller male, or can females of this strain be that pretty? Since they
cost a bundle ($60), I want to be sure I am not getting two males.

>    The clerk swore that they were a pair,, but did not know that red
opals are a type of Borelli.

>     p.s. I second Andy's report that the new store in Greenwich
village looks really good.  Its business card says that it specializes
in dwarf cichlids.

Archives"!