Re: Borelli ID

In a message dated 2/10/99 3:29:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
mdiller@MAIL.LAWNET.FORDHAM.EDU writes:

> I spotted a magnificent pair of "red opals" in a LFS.  I am concerned that
> they are too magnificent  ---- the "female" has the same coloration  (red
> cheeks, bluish-yellow body, yellow orange fins) as the male, but is a bit
> smaller & has shorter ventral fins. She has the same overall body shape as
> the male. Is this likely to be a smaller male, or can females of this strain
> be that pretty? Since they cost a bundle ($60), I want to be sure I am not
> getting two males.

I wouldn't touch them at that price either.  I've never seen or heard of "red
opals", but A. borelli is a traditional Apisto as far as sexual dimoorphism
goes.  The female should be rather bland, unless in her brooding coloration,
which is bright yellow with dark black highlights.

Bob Dixon