pH hell

O.K. Now that we are on water quality topics, I wonder if someone can tell
me what is really going on here.  I discovered, after having experienced a
massive hair algae bloom, that the buffer I was adding to my water contained
phosphate.  So, over the past two weeks I have been adding phosphate- and
nitrate-free acid/base buffer to my de-ionized water.  (Yes, I tested it.
This situation is creating anal retentiveness!)
I was hoping that with 30% weekly water changes the phosphate would
gradually decrease, and hence the algae growth, and I would be able to
maintain the pH at the usual 6.8.  But nooooooo.

I leave the change water in the tub overnight.  It keeps a stable 6.6.  Then
I add it to the tank which is at 6.8.  I did not concern myself unduly, or
so I believed.  Well, holy smokes the pH went up to 8.5!!!!!  Since that
heart attack, I have been gradually adding acid buffer to bring it down and
stabilize it.  But it has been a struggle.

So, what gives?  Is the phosphate binding up the acid and permitting the
alkaline buffer to have full reign or what?

Sleepless in Toronto