Re: pH hell

In a message dated 2/13/99 12:05:58 AM Mountain Standard Time,
alexp@idirect.com writes:

> tap water >190 ppmCa, Mg,130ppm HCO3(straight from the tap), pH 7.6, KH 7-8,
>  GH 9.  The plants did not do well in this water.
>  The fish are all soft water species: some apistogrammas, gouramis, tetras,
>  rasboras, loaches, corydoras.  21/2 years ago I kept them basically in tap
>  water.  However, after I started to provide them with 2/3 deionized and 1/3
>  tap with the lower pH their colours became vibrant - in fact, the
>  photographs in the books don't do them justice.  The fish are spawning -
>  (except the loaches).

I think that is your answer.  A mix of 2/3 DI and 1/3 tap will give you a GH
around 3 (just under 60ppm) and a KH of about 2.5.  You should be able at that
point to spawn your South American and West African fish qutie well, provided
the pH is low enough to be to their liking.  For lowering pH effectively, you
can use Mardel's pHDown, which is phosphate-free, or you can use Hydrochloric
acid.  After extensive messing around with the HCl, I have found the best way
for me (Note:YMMV) is to get some Muriatic acid at the hardware store and
dilute it with one part acid added to four parts water.  Add the acid to the
water, not the other way around.  I know, it sounds silly, but the odor will
rip your nostrils raw if you do it wrong.

This gives you a mixture of 6% acid.  You can use a ratio of 5:1 and get 5%
acid if you prefer.  Then you set up a _bare_ test tank wwith your DI/tap
water mix.  Add five drops per gallon of your homebrew pH reducer to the test
tank.  Take a reading after two minutes, and another one after 24 hours.  Then
you should be able to figure out what your results will be.  Continue to try
different amounts for about a week if necessary.  Also, you might want to
treat and retreat with the acid in the same water several times if you need
to.

It won't take long before you figure out what you are going to need to get the
target pH and get it stable.

As a side note, I have used Mardel's WOW and also their TankSoft without any
noticeable phosphate problem.  Again, YMMV.

Bob Dixon