Re: Problems with R/O Right

This was suggested to me by Joe Gargas, the guy writing the great water articles
in TFH the past year.  He told me to mix up two batches and test the ionic
content to prove it to myself.  Of course, I don't have the expensive equipment
to verify this.  Joe told me that a serious aquarist should own certain water
analysis equipment.  He added that altogether the cost for this equipment should
not exceed $3000 (three thousand US $)!  I guess my electronic pH, temp, and
conductivity meters leave me short of being serious ;-)

Anyway, all I can say is that someone I respect was insistent on discouraging R/O
Right if I want to have control of the ionic balance in my water.  I can't prove
it, but it does make sense.  If the mixture of R/O Right contains more than one
chemical, then the contents will probably not remain evenly mixed.

However, for the easier-to-spawn fishes like most Apistogramma species, I
question the need to be this meticulous.  I'm not, and I get good results.  In
contrast, ionic content is apt to be more important in more challenging species:
It has been demonstated that the balance of Mg to Ca affects the williningness to
spawn and egg development of rummy-nose tetras.

So keep using your R/O right if you are getting good results.  If you are not
getting the spawns you think you should get, then consider discarding your old
R/O Right container and trying something else.

--Randy