Re: A. borelli in hiding.

In a message dated 2/14/99 2:58:54 AM Mountain Standard Time,
caligula@tig.com.au writes:

> Now for the last 3 days the male has gone into hiding and its the female
>  who is most obvious in the tank.   He doesnt even seem to come out for
>  food although I managed to get him to eat some white worms (2) on
>  saturday night.  The female is not obviously harassing him, no does she
>  seem to be guarding an area, and there is nothing wrong with her
>  appetite.

Why not put a chair about three feet from the tank, sit down, be very still,
and watch for a while.  The female will probably favor one area of the tank
over any others.  With a well-planted, relatively empty tank, she feels secure
enough to expand her territory.  The more turf she can control, the better the
chances of survival for her fry.  Once you have figured out what area she is
guarding, you can find the eggs/wriggleers.  If it's been three days, she may
be ready to move them as they hatch to a second location.  I recommend you at
least consider disrupting things long enough to catch the male and relocate
him.  Her maternal instincts should survive the four or five minutes of a two-
net assault on her beloved.

Oh, yeah- I'm assuming she is very yellow with the black standing out more
than usual?  And you better get your BBS hatching.  You're gonna need it.

Bob Dixon