1st: Apisto panduro & Dicrossus

Howdy,
Well, I took my first serious plunge into South American dwarf cichlids
this weekend.  (I've kept and bred the mid-sized S.A. cichlids such as
festivum, severum, angels, and a few others for a dozen or so years)  I
bought a trio of Apistogramma panduro and five Dicrossus filamentosa.
When I got them home I noticed that three neons had hitched along in the
Dicrossus bag, a little bonus.  So now I'm eleven fish richer and twenty
bucks poorer (he didn't charge for the neons, didn't even notice them
maybe)...
I found quite a bit on the Dicrossus, but the only thing on the panduro
was what was on the "Krib" web page; a discussion about the difference
between panduro and nijsseni, and a nice little article by Dave Sanford
on the Seattle Aquarium Society page (link from the "Krib").
So, I figure from what I've read that the panduro are a black water
species as are the filamentosa.  My water comes out of the tap fairly
soft; has tested as low as 20ppm/1.1dH, but recently tests around
50ppm/2.8dH.  My local water utility, the MWRA, has been trying to add
some buffer to the water to "make it less corrosive."  My pH is in the
high 6 range, mostly 6.8.  So I'm wondering if I should be doing
something to my water, such as filtering with peat.  I picked up some
stuff at a gardening store called "Country Cottage Sphagnum Peat Moss"
which it claims is "A premium grade sphagnum peat moss imported from
Canada."  My wife is a gardener and was going to use this to start her
seeds for the garden, but I'm wondering if this is the same stuff that
people are using for their aquaria.  What I was thinking of doing was
getting a 30-50 gallon container and filling it with water and peat with
a pump for circulation.  Let it soak for a week, then use it to refill
after my water changes.  Maybe this would provide a gradual enough shift
in pH and produce a better water quality for my fish.  Any comments?
How much peat would do the trick for this size container?
I've got them in a 30 gallon tank now (the common 36" kind), they're all
sub-adult size right now, at least I think they are having never kept
them before.  I'm surprised at how active they are, I expeced them to go
into hiding for at least the first few days...
Well, I've lurked on the list for a week or two, the level of discussion
is good and I'm eager to hear any comments on my initial foray...
Thanks,
Peter Davis