Re: Water hardness

Not an elementry question at all, its what this is all about. I dont
mean to endorse any product over another but I like the Tetra KH/DH
kit. It only cost around $4 and gives you plenty of tests for your
money. In addition its pretty accurate. I use electronic equipment and
the two jive pretty well.

As to the secound part of your question what is soft and hard is an
arbretrary thing. Whats soft to one fish may not be soft enough for
another. I reccomend you research the species you intend on working
with and then try to stay in those parameters. Keep in mind many of
our Apisto's are rather tolarent of their water hardness values. On
the other hand some (like wild T.candidi) are very precise in their
requirments. Whith that said I would reccomend that you pick up a copy
of American Cichlids I by Linke and Staeck it has some good
information on the water parameters of many of the wideley available
species and it only sells for about $20, so you cant go wrong. Hope
this will help you.

David Sanchez

---Rover765@aol.com wrote:

> How do you go about testing the hardness level of your water?  I
know this is
> a rather elementary question but hopefully some one can help me out.
 I about
> have the difference between KH and GH figured out.  the only test I
have just
> sort of gives you a round about view on whether your water is hard
or soft.
> No real specific numbers and no differentiation between GH and KH.
I would
> appreciate any responses.  If you donm't want to clutter the list with
> repetitive info just email me..
> Glenn

Archives"!