INDEX.; mass death

"alex pastor" wrote: <<<<< book on Cichlids
I just purchased the Paul Loiselle book on The Cichlid Aquarium.  Great
pictures etc. etc. But NO INDEX.
Should it have had an index, and the binders left out some pages, or what?

It was printed with no index, but if you call the publisher they will
send you a separate one for free. They even apologized to me!

Walter McCree" <wmccree@usa.net> wrote: <<<<<
Subject: mass death
(..)On Wed I had about 50 young ones.
I think they are too large now to be considered fry. The other day I was
watching the tank and all of a sudden it looked like one of the young Kribs
got shocked or something.  This happened to 6 fish in about 30 minutes.  All
fish appear to be healthy as far as color, activity and things like that
then all of a sudden they get this seizure and are dead in a matter of
minutes.
I immediately checked the water and all looked perfect.  Temp 76, ph 7.5,
Nitrate 0 ect.  I did a 50% water change that night but it didn't seem to
help.  I did another 50% one on Sat with no change.  I am down to the pair
of adults and 8 young ones.  Oh yea I have 2 small Plecos too.
Nothing in my routine has changed.  I feed twice a day, frozen brine shrimp
or frozen blood worms, I do 30 to 40% water changes 2 times a week, no new
plants or fish have been added, filtration is done by a Emperor 400.  I do
have a few snails in the tank, little rams horn, but they are under control.
I take them out and dispose of them while doing the water changes.

If ammonia is OK (and probably it is OK indeed), and no new fishes
have been added in several weeks, I would suspect either gill flukes
(which typically kill the fry and juveniles leaving the adults unharmed)
or maybe even Oodinium or Ich. The situation is not typical though, and
it's hard to make a good guess.
I would try to administer a treatment with formalin+malachite green,
which would help in any of the cases mentioned above.
See details at: http://world.std.com/~enjolras/symtreat.htm

If the treatment helps, it may still not eradicate the problem, and
you should be careful in keeping an eye on what will happen in
the future. Also, as a prudential measure in case you have
other fish tanks, avoid absolutely to use the same equipment
(hoses, etc) for other tanks, and wash carefully your hands before
of dipping them elsewhere. If possible, take care of the diseased
tank last, so that you further reduce the risks of epidemics.
I learnt this the hard way: once I introduced velvet in one of my
tanks through contaminated plants, and by the time the first
symptoms appeared all my other tanks had been contaminated
through wet hands and equipment. I now use separate vacuum hoses
for each tank, and dip my hands in a saturated salt solution
before of moving onto the next.

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.