Re: Ram agression

In a message dated 2/18/99 4:27:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bloomquist@willmar.com writes:

<< I have a wild Ram male and a Gold Female. I am trying to bring some size
and
 stamina back into the domestic stock here.  I am experiencing some
 aggression to the female from the male.  I have just set them up in a ten,
 they have also previously spawned in my 125 Gal.  do I need some dither
 fish?  Or is the planted 10 to small?  I have done Rams in tens before,
 however this is my first experience with a wild ram. >>

I have a couple of rams (wild).  They were in a 55 gallon and very happy, so I
decided to try to breed them.  I placed them into a 15 gallon with some
cardinals.  The results were terrible.  After a couple of days, one ram began
to bully the other (I wasn't sure if it was mating or aggression) and in a
week, it was dead.  I moved the remaining one back into a larger tank. Then I
gave it a playmate.  They are both happy (no kids).

I think (honestly) that the rams woulf have been perfectly fine in the 15 if I
placed them in there from the beginning.  I definitely think that moving down
to a smaller size was detrimental.

Rich