Re:

In a message dated 2/20/99 4:24:37 PM Mountain Standard Time, mgaber@erols.com
writes:

> is soaking and boiling
>  necessary, as is the case with driftwood?

I would recommend doing it with any piece of wood, both for sterility reasons
and for bouyancy reasons.  If you boil it, you kill virtually every pathogen
known.  If you boile it, it expands the air inside the wood, driving much of
it out.  Let it soak as it cools, and the contracting remnant will be
supplemented with water, rather than replacement air, reducing the time needed
to get it to sink.

I used a piece of choya wood to receive some Bolbitis fern a couple days ago.
I boiled it for ten minutes, ran cold water into the pot, let it soak, and
tied on the fern.  I stuck a small rock on it overnight, and now it is already
willing to stay down wiithout the weight, after ony two days.

Bob Dixon