Re: Pv. taeniatus Matadi or Pv. subocellatus Matadi black?

Colin,

You may not know how big of a problem this is. After talking with Dr. Paul
Loiselle, I now understand that we are not talking about one species (Pv.
taeniatus), but at least three very closely related ones, and possibly more!
Crossing color forms not only mixes the color strains, but can cause hybridizing.
A similar example of this, I understand, occurred with BB Zebras in Lake Malawi.
Once other color forms & closely related species were added to its habitat, it
crossed with them and is now lost as a pure form. All we have are 25 year old
photos.

Mike Wise