Re: 3.5 and 10 gal raising A. caca

Hello Kris
Yes, the set up you're talking about would work, but give the male a
chance before you decide to boot him out to the 3.5 gallon tank.   I've
had males that were both egg and fry eaters and then again I've had
males that were good dads.  My suggestion would be to find out which one
the male you have is first.   Presently I have a pair of Double reds
tthat the male is a notorious fry eater and I have a pair of the "Orange
Flash" color form where the male is a good dad.   You could try adding a
few dither fish like Cardinals to make the male a better parent before
banishing him to the small tank.   Eventually you will have to add him
back to the 10 gallon tank as he will quickly out grow a 3.5 gallon
tank.    Either you'll need to set up another 10 gallon tank or move all
the fry out of the breeding tank before placing him back in with the
female.    Just avoid fish like plecos or corys when you set up your
planted 10 gallon tank.
They could be a threat to your fry or eggs.
Good luck in your set up.
John Wubbolt