Re: Automated X10 lighting control deals & ideas

Erik Olsen wrote:
>>My favorite x10 use was "The Mom" -- having every light in the house turn off at 2 AM or 10 AM, just in case I left something on.<<

Does it check to make sure you locked the doors too?  Just kidding.

>>You can use an appliance module with fluorescent lights, but they will not dim.  Further, you may also have to make a small modification to the module in order to stop false triggering of the "local turn-on" feature, something which drove me nuts at first... the lights would randomly come on in the middle of the night due to some stray current.<<

I saw a filter module that reduces noises.  I'll keep both in mind.

>>One thing to beware of is that the "normal" x10 modules will not slowly come up from zero.  Rather, they start by turning on full blast and then slowly dimming DOWN to the levelyou want. In the last few years, x10 has fixed this in their new expensive modules (the $30 "two-way" types).<<

My kit came with the "cheap" $10 module.  I tested the dimming by yelling out the door to my son if was dimming and brightening.  He simply said yes and didn't mention anything about it starting out full on.  I'll do more testing, but I'm sure I'll experience the same as you did.  If so, I can use a 25 watt bulb in the far corner to come on first.

>>I've adjusted the day length on different tanks to help reduce the algae levels, and also to induce flowering. We stagger the different circuits in the fishroom so everything doesn't come on or off at the same time.  I've also set up the two-bank effect.<<

Can you describe how you set up your curcuits?  Especially the fluorescent lights.

Thanks.

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson