Re: Automated X10 lighting control deals & ideas

Hi Bill,

Kathy & I have out whole house on X10 (except for maybe one fixture -- a
fluorescent light in the kitchen in which the wall switch only has two
wires). I started using this stuff about 6 years ago for the fishtanks,
and it's expanded to heater setbacks, porch lights, and hopefully someday
to motion-controlled bathroom fans.  It's also a pretty nice crime
deterrent (though not a security system in itself).

> 1. I would have at least one lamp module in the room that I would
> start the routine with by slowly bring up to full power by dimming in
> increments.  This would help avoid sudden-death-syndrome (SDS) with my
> killies Although there are other contributing factors to SDS, it's
> prime trigger id sudden light.

One thing to beware of is that the "normal" x10 modules will not slowly
come up from zero.  Rather, they start by turning on full blast and then
slowly dimming DOWN to the levelyou want. In the last few years, x10 has
fixed this in their new expensive modules (the $30 "two-way" types).  We
have one of these in our bedroom for a sunrise effect so desparately
needed in the pacific northwest.

> 3. One could even play with seasonal light changes to see if it can
> induce spawning in troublesome fish.  Althougth the computer program
> couldn't calcute dusk and dawn in Argentina or South Africa.  You
> could do a little researh on it and buid your own routines.

I've adjusted the day length on different tanks to help reduce the algae
levels, and also to induce flowering. We stagger the different circuits in
the fishroom so everything doesn't come on or off at the same time.  I've
also set up the two-bank effect.

Another side benefit: when the power goes out, you don't have to go
readjust every timer in the place.

> Lastly, if any of you have X10 experience, can any of the outlet
> modules listed be used with flourecent starters and provide dimming.
> I don't think so, but I'm not definately sure.

You can use an appliance module with fluorescent lights, but they will not
dim.  Further, you may also have to make a small modification to the
module in order to stop false triggering of the "local turn-on" feature,
something which drove me nuts at first... the lights would randomly come
on in the middle of the night due to some stray current. The modification
involves unscrewing the module and cutting one jumper with a wire cutter.

There is one type of fluorescenbt light that can be dimmed and used with
the incandescent module: the so-called "Dimmable" compact fluorescents
made by GE.  Hefty in prices, they don't gain you all that much, really.

My favorite x10 use was "The Mom" -- having every light in the house turn
off at 2 AM or 10 AM, just in case I left something on.  The only bummer
was, that when living with other "guys", they were sometimes up at 2 AM
and did not appreciate this.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson