re: age of M. altispinosa spawns

I was following the recent thread about age of Bolivian ram spawning with
interest as I have a pair which I guess are about nine months old max (1.5
inch long now) and which I bought from the LFS about four months ago. The
male has spent the whole time chasing the female into a corner of a 40
gallon so there was no sign of any love there. Then hearing it can take
them several years to mature (and I could believe it, having a two year old
female in another tank that still seems to be growing), I was ready for a
long wait.

Of course, the very next morning the two were fluttering around each other
showing a complete change in attitude. Two days later they have spawned on
a sloping rock in the middle of a crowded tank (cardinals, bleeding hearts,
rummys, hatchets, corys). I'm not expecting too many survivors but it just
shows.

from: John McCrone -- science writer
  mailto:  j.mccrone@btinternet.com
  web site: http://www.btinternet.com/~neuronaut/