Re: brooding female

She eats usually, although not as much as the male (I mean the male
actually patrols for food, while she usually waits until some floats by
her flower pot).  Her colors have gone down a bit, but she is filling
out again, so I think I'll move the plecos out next weekend (hopefully
she'll wait until then).  She hasn't actively chased the male ever, not
even with their last spawn, but she has done a little "dance" where she
waves her body in front of him with her fins closed.  This looks like a
mix of submissive and aggressive display to me (closed fins been
submissive behavior and body waving been aggressive).
  I just did a big water change today, about fifty percent, this is what
triggered the last spawn if I remember correctly, so if they do spawn, I
hope the plecos stay away (they can't fit in the opening of the flower
pot, but will they eat the fry when they come out?)

  I hope I can get some fry out of these fish some day, so until then,
I'll keep my eye out for fry. ;-)

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB
(780) 464-9635