Re: A. sp Erdfesser (A. pulcher ID)

In my opinion the fish in Aqualog SAC-II, page 56 (S03805-4), is a male A.
pulchra. I know that it only has a spotted pattern in the upper caudal lobe and
the lateral band pigmentation extends far back into the tail, and that this is
more typical of A. gephyra. What makes me think it's A. pulchra is the shorter
length of the dorsal fin base on the back of the fish. In the original
description of A. gephyra Kullander states:

"From A. pulchra it is well separated by the longer dorsal fin base (56.3-61.8%
of SL, mean = 59.3%; in A. pulchra 55.1-57.8%, mean = 56.2%)."

Besides, the caudal pattern appears to be variable on A. pulchra. In the original
description of A. pulchra Kullander states that there are:

"Three types of caudal fin pattern: a) up to 5 ill-defined vertical spot-stripes
on dorsal half near middle in upper lobe, b) immaculate, c) about 6 bars along
middle, continuing band continuation and broader than it."

His English phraseology wasn't too good in c), but the way I read it he means
that the upper lobe has 6 spot stripes in the middle and the lateral band appears
to continue into the tail, where it is broader than the lateral band on the
flanks. This form appears to be similar to the fish we're talking about.

And anyone who is intelligent enought to think that I have all this stuff
memorized and on the tips of my keyboard fingers, well I've also got some nice
ocean front property just a mile east of Miami Beach I'll sell cheap! Knowing how
to research is a valuable tool.

Mike Wise