From: John Wubbolt <BigJohnW@webtv.net>
To: apisto@admin.listbox.com <apisto@admin.listbox.com>
Date: March 9, 1999 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: genetics for dummies

hello Vern
I don't understand why you want to "fix" the color pattern.   I
understand that the Rio Mamore fish naturally throw both "Red" and
"Blue" color forms.   I would think this would be more desirable then
one particular color.   Knowing that you get both colors from a single
pair who allow you to trade or sell both color forms to friends, other
hobbyists or to the Local Pet shops.   But if you are trying to "Fix"
either color form, the method you described should work if you line
breed the fish.   Running two lines of the same stock and then crossing
the 3rd generations will keep the lines from getting too week in time.
You will also eventually have to cross in new blood every so many
generations down the line.   Good Luck, the Mamore fish are very nice
fish.   A friend of mine is working with the Blue form and they're just
gorgeous.
John

Archives"!