Re: genetics for dummies

Vern writes:

> I would think that by the time to got close to all reds that it would be
>  time to add new blood and you would have to ruin all your work to this
>  point.Genetics is not my stronge point so this might be the totally wrong
>  way to go about it.Anyone with more knowlegde have any thoughts on this?
>  Vern

IMHO, There are only two solid reasons for adding "new blood"
1) the line has developed a deformity of some sort but has some redeeming
color or finnage value that you are trying to keep.  Ading new blood will
improve the chances of reducing or eliminating the deformity.  Many lines of
guppies seem prone to bent spines and the like, and I've seen cerviceps with
major fin problems, but most fish do not really have this problem.
2) Increasing genetic diversity within your breeding program.  This is
important for species maintenance programs and the like.  If you are trying to
"fix" a color variation, then you wnat to reduce the genetic diversity.

If you are working toward a specific goal, don't introduce any other breeders
than the ones you have been selecting.  Even so, you may be talking about a
number of generations to get what you want.  These types of color variants are
usually controlled by a group of genes rather than a single gene.

Bob Dixon