Re: Badis badis badis

Well you definatly have Badi badis but the question remains whether it's surnimensis or badis. You don't have burmanicus because beleive me you would know. I have had them in the past and spawned them. They look like little jewel cihlids and are outstanding even when not in breeding dress. I have some slides of the two varietis Badis badis badis "brown blue variety" and Badis badis burmanicus "red variety" so you can see for your self. Breeding them thankfully is a snap. you can use a 5 1/2 or even a 2 1/2 gallon tank feed them well, they really go for frozen bloodworms!, and provide small caves. I use to use 1/2"-3/4" PVC pipe. provide lots of cover for the females as the males are rough. they usaully spawn in the wee hours of the morning after which the female is no longer welcome because the it is the male that will gaurd the eggs! Now there are many ways to preside. If you want to produce a sizable number of them you now take that PVC pipe out and place it in a small bowl with LIGHT areation when they are free swimming feeding them can be a bit of a problem because they are too small for bbs so microworms, infosuria, or a product called microfood by OSI that is commonly available and is used to feed Marine Invertabrates is very usefull. they have to be watched carefully and require daily water changes and you must make sure the water does not foul. Alternativly you can bred them in a heavily planted tank with lots of java moss and feed them lots of bbs and they will spawn all the time and they really dont eat their young so you will have a genorous number of youngsters after a while. I think thats the majority of it i'll have to check my notes for more specifics so if you want anything let me know and I'll dig it up. Good luck and lets hope you have the the nice turqouise colored variety!!! David Sanchez http://www.mindspring.com/~barbax ---"David A. Youngker" wrote: > > > >Hi David which varieties of Badis can you get? I would like burmanicus > >the red kind and the blue variety in the march issue of TFH. Let me > >know what you are looking for and we can make a trade. > > It's not a question of what I can get - more like what I *have*. If you stop > by > > http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10/apisto_or_no.htm > > you'll see it's the fish I've been trying to ID. The six specimens I mention > on the page are the sum total of the entire population of which I'm aware. > That's it - no more - and why I can't help you out with quantity. > > But having two trios present good breeding opportunities - that's why I > asked for the breeding tips. I get the info I need, you get a genetically > diverse set. A lot easier than working with a single pair, eh? > > I haven't been down to pick up the latest issue of TFH yet, else I wouldn't > have had to go through this struggle. The European lad that IDed them from > the drawing I posted said that they were most likely red burmanicus, the > "Chameleon Badis", but a web search turned up a photo of blue-bodied fish > rather than red under burmanicus. One blurry photo of what had to have been > a long-finned variety (almost Beta proportions, which was the first photo I > saw and almost convinced me it wasn't the fish) turned up under straight > badis badis, mostly just listings of the fish and brief mentions - with the > sole exception of the TFH covershot. So until I can pinpoint whether it's > the body color or the fin color that determines "red", then I couldn't tell > you which I actually have. > > After all, I've had them for almost a month now, and I just found out what > they were this afternoon... > > -Y- > > David A. Youngker > http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10 > nestor10@mindspring.com > > > >
David Sanchez Casselberry, FL http://www.mindspring.com/~barbax barbax2@yahoo.com
DO YOU YAHOO!?