Re: Info on A. resticulosa

>Steph & Dave wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> One of our LFS (sydney, aus) has some A. resticulosa for sale.  I am
>> having trouble finding any information about this fish on the 'net and
>> my copy of Linke & Staeck is currently on a slow boat from Amazon.com :)
>>
>>  can someone help me....
snip

and Mike Wise wrote:

snip
>They should be a "moderately easy" fish to breed at a pH <6.5 and
>moderately >soft
>water (dGH<3; dKH<2). I know Ade Lau, Laramie Wyoming, has been successful
>with
>them in the same water conditions that he keeps his Discus.
>
>> Is this a common fish in other parts of the world,
>
>Not common, but not rare either.
>
> is 30US an outrageous
> price to pay for a pair?
>
>I got mine directly from Marco Lacerda at the Chicago ACA convention in
>1997. >If
>I remember correctly they were US$10 each, but shipping & other costs will
>>affect
>their final retail price. Only you can decide if AUS$50 is unreasonable or
>not,
>but it's close to what mine sold for.
snip

I can echo Mike's comments and add a little more info.  The fish Marco was
selling were labeled A. resticulosa "Humaita".  Mine proved to be very
prolific in pH 6.2 - 6.8, and moderately hard water (I've forgotten what my
hardness is, I just remember it fell out as moderate on the scale). I kept
3 pair in a 29 gallon tank. There were spawns constantly and the males
tolerated each other.   A significant percentage of the fry were
successfully raised in the tank.  I still have several of the original fish
I purchased in Chicago as well as many of their offspring and their
grandchildren?? as well.  Marco was selling these fish for $12.00/pair but
I doubt this has any resemblence to the cost one would incur in shipping
these fish from Germany.