[OT - FYI] Badis Badis

For those interested in the "breedability" of Badis badis:

I mentioned that I had intended to try stuffing the breeding tank full of
Java Moss to help feed the fry, while Mike Wise alluded to them being
comparable to "easy" Apistos to spawn. Well, you can use both statements as
accurate jump-off points.

I've been maintaining them in a 20-gal long, sand bottom, strewn rock
formations with a couple of over-lapping pieces here and there for cave
sites. There's a piece of driftwood around which the rocks are piled, the
rocks are covered in a carpet of Java Moss, and two large sprigs of Water
Sprite were planted to provide vertical growth and overhead "protection".
The water is a 50:50 mix of tap and filtered water with a dose of Tetra BW
Extract to bring it to 2º GH, 1º TA and 7.2 pH. Temperature has been
maintained at 78º F. Four gallons of fresh water are changed out daily.
Filtering is an air-driven sponge, lighting is a four-foot, double-lamp
flourescent (that obviously overhangs, but was the best I could do on
spur-of-the-moment). Nine Neon Tetras were added as tankmates / dithers.
Food has been strictly brine shrimp, as discussed previously.

Problems arose with the use of the Tetra BWE, as usual - the phosphate
content has sparked a dense infestaion of filamentous algae whose growth is
aided by the slow current. So, I added two Otos, but even they couldn't keep
up. Today I'm cleaning out the algae with the water change. I'd decided to
pull the Water Sprite until the algae is back under control and I can start
replacing the water with peat-treated sources. I'm working out the sprigs,
sucking up loose algae as I go with about a gallon's worth of water at a
time. Dump, come back, pull, suck, net, dump. As I'm drawing out the fourth
and final gallon, I'm picking through the Java Moss and notice a couple of
quick darting motions. "Stop the water!" I look, and sure enough - I've got
fry, from barely-perceptible to 1/4-inch, across the bottom of the tank!

Wwaaahhh. Now I can't help but wonder how many "babies I threw out with the
bath water"! The one time I should be wearing my glasses! (I usually just
draw the water from the top and around the vicinity of the sponge.)

Well, tried to keep this one short, as it is somewhat off-topic. Just wanted
to add one last bit of info to the merry-go-round these fish have had me
riding, and a couple of people did ask...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10
nestor10@mindspring.com