Re: Potting soil in a aquarium

Hi Johnathan,

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Jonathan Koehn" <dgkoehn@gbasin.net>
Subject: Potting soil in a aquarium

This is a little of subject.  But need some info.  Is it okay to use
miracle grow in a aquarium the mixed potting soil variety. If its okay
how do you use it in the filter or under the gravel or sand.
I would like to know why you want to use potting soil, I use a
mineralized topsoil and clay mix under my gravel to grow plants in my
tanks, no miracle-grow allowed.  If you are not growning plants I agree
with everyone else and sugggest you avoid potting soil.  If you want to
grow plants I agree with everyone else and suggest you avoid potting
soil.  Yes I said the same thing twice, avoid potting soil.  The
amendments in potting soil really don't do aquatic organisms any good.

Also, don't use any type of soil to grow plants unless you are growing
things like swords, vals, crypts, etc., plants that have a large root
system.  These plants can supply the substrate with enough oxygen to
keep it from going anoxic.

Good luck,

Sean Murphy
Fisheries/Wetlands Biologist