Re: A.sp.Malome-a possible answer

Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> Since A. sp. Mamoré (Blue) is already used, we may as well use the commercial name
> - A. sp. Malome (yuck!). Is it any different from that of A. commbrae instead of
> the intended A. corumbae?
>
> BTW Marco, I love your "International Commission for Vernacular Fish
> Nomenclature". It made my day!
>
> Mike Wise

Yes, in the original description of Apistogramma commbrae, the author
(Eigenmann) wanted to name it after CORUMBA, a city in Mato Grosso
(nowadays Mato Grosso do Sul) State.
We interpret that someone typing Eigenmann's handwriting confused "r-u-
m" with "m-m". You know, many people write in a "wave" fashion, i.e.,
the letters "u", "w", "m", "r" etc. all look like the same "sea-wave"
sequence.
But according to the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, the
first name published (commbrae) must be given priority, even if it was
like so by an accident.

In regard to A. sp. Malome (argh!) the story seems to repeat,
discounting it is not a scientific name, but a common trade name.
Now you should publish it (Malome) in an article, and then refer to it
in your next "Nominal List of Apistogramma Species".
Hahaha.

To the ones not familiar with this thoroughly done work, Mike Wise is
publishing and updating it since long ago, in issues of "The Apisto-
gram", the publication of the Apistogramma Study Group.
He lists all popular Apisto names ever published, gives its
distribution, group (complex), synonyms (if there is any) etc.