Re: Fwd: Help me ID Fish, A.hippolytae perhaps?

the hippolytae have been quite territorial and with 3
> in a 20 gallon I
> have had to add more bogwood and obstacles to
prevent
> one male from
> beating up everyone in the tank.

I can attest to this also Kathy! My wild hippoltae are
rather pugnacious as well. I have observed two females
in particuler stake out some territory and chase all
who dare come near. I have a couple males that are
fighting over the limits of their territories as well.
I hope to have a spwning report very soon. Perhaps we
can compare notes. I have them in a 30 gallon tank with
lots of flower pots and coconut shells. By the way the
two females are beginning to get a very nice yellow
color and the fin tips seem to gleam as well. My males
look awesome! As Mike Wise said they can indeed be very
attractive given the proper conditions. The males have
a yellow scheen to them with nice golden amber
highlights along the lateral line and lateral spot. The
abdominal area has some realy nice turqouise color as
well. I am using very soft acidic water and I think
this is realy bringing out their splendor. Good luck to
you with yours.

===

David Sanchez
Casselberry, FL