Spooked-out cichlids, part two

(See apisto digest V1 #314)...
Just thought I'd drop a note and say that everything seems to be ok
again.  However, I lost my curvicep.  The last day she was alive she
(quite suddenly) turned an ugly shade of black.  I've seen this before
and know that the fish has only a few hours left and there's nothing to
be done.  True to form, I saw the expired fish about 3 hours later after
I returned home.  She was still black.

On a positive note, I discussed my situation with my LFS guy.  After
running down the situation and the current stock of fish, he immediately
noticed my lack of dithers.  He suggested something to occupy the upper
regions of the  tank.  I went for hatchet fish, since I had never kept
them before.  he suggested only four, and that seemed low to me, but I
trusted him, figuring I could buy more later if I thought it best.  I
also bought another curvicep, figuring that the other needed another of
it's kind to be more comfortable.

So, everything is running smoothly now.  Either the addtion of the
hatchets or the removal of the sick fish has brought everything back to
order.  The fish no longer want to hide, even come out to have a look at
me when I sit down to look at them.  Since I had a mysterious fish
death, I'm treating the lot of 'em with the Tetra Medica food in case
there is a lingering bug.  I'm only going to do one water change a week
to keep stress down.

Since the addtion of a pleco a few weeks back, this is the cleanest tank
in the entire house!

--

Kelly Beard, Cat IV (on sabbatical)
President, Allanti Cycling Club