Re: iron for color

In a message dated 4/4/99 2:00:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, alexp@idirect.com
writes:

<< The irony of this (pardon the pun) is that in blackwater environments there
 are very little if any aquatic plants.  What kind of plants do you have that
 live at pH of 5?

I don't understand why everyone blames the pH for the lack of plants in a
tank.  I have a discus tank with a pH=4.2.  In it I grow vallisneria (both
corkscrew and straight varieties). ,  amazon swords, java fern, sagittara
(both dwarf and regular), hydrogrophila (corumbosa and polysperma), banana
plants, bacopa caroliniana - red), apon. species, crypt wendtii, anubia, and
ludwigia (red).  It grows so heavily that I just sold a full 10 gallon
container of plants to a lfs after 3 months of growth.

I use VHO lites (320 watts) and fertilize with Jobes ( cut in  thirds) sticks
(household plants type).  It can't be the water pH.  There are other
contributing factors.

Rich