----Original Message Follows----
From: Paul Evans <pm_evans@yahoo.com>

Hello all,

I have kept apisto's for a little over a year
but I finally got my first opportunity to
try to breed them.

Last Monday I placed a pair in a newly setup
20 gallon (standard deminsions) with some
bog wood, upturned flower pots, and real and
fake plants.  The substrate is sand.  The
water is 78F, ph 6.7, GH 1 degree, KH 2 degrees.

About 12 hours after putting the fish in the
female turned a real nice yellow.  I fed them
live adult brine.  Saturday I noticed a change
in behavior.  The female spends most of her
time under one of the pieces of bog wood.  Usually
if a walk up to the tank, she will come out and
have a look at me.  Then head back in.  When I feed
she will usually come out and snack.  Generally, when
she eats she will grab one then head back to the
cave, then come out and grab another, and so on.

She will not stray more than about six inches from
the cave.  Meanwhile the male swims around the tank
with his fins held high.  If he gets within about
six inches of the cave then the female comes out and
gently encourages him the leave.  The male swims away
slowly.  There are no other fish in the tank.

Based on my readings I had expected her not to come
out of the cave if there were eggs in there.  Further,
I expected her to be more aggresive with the male
when he gets to close.

So, do you think I have a spawn?  I don't want to
disturb the root.  I should mention, that I don't
think she his hiding from the male, I have never
seen him be aggresive toward her.  The female remains
the real nice yellow/gold.

Thanks in advance.

A hopeful Paul Evans.