Re: How do I reduce my GH

> First- try that GH test again, and get a second brand of test kit to see if
> you get the same reading.  For 99% of the water supplies in the US, and
> probably worldwide, the primary source of general hardness (Ca and Mg) comes
> in the form of carbonates, which makes the GH and KH readings about even.  It
> is possible that a carbonate source is reacting with an acid in the water and
> neutralizing the majority of the alkalinity.  Also test your tap water.
> Something in the tank, like coral gravel or seashells, may be pushing up the
> hardness.

A While ago a friend told me to add some coral chips to my tank to bring
my pH Values up into the acceptable range.  (I have no idea what my pH
was because it didnt react at all with the test kit I had).  Now my pH
is good 6.5 but my GH (i didnt have a tester for GH at the time) is off
the scale.

quick trip to physics land:

low pH = Acid water
Acid eats away calcium
Calcium becomes my GH
and since my water was VERY acid (Had trouble keeping fish alive) LOTS
of calcium gets absorbed by the water.  I somehow think that i will have
to go the lake malawi route :(

> If indeed your tap water is that hard, your only hope is to use a
> high-quality RO or DI unit.  They are fairly simple to use, and will deliver

my tap water has an acceptable pH and GH (where i get the acid from is a
mystery to me!

Thanks Jeff