Re: How do I reduce my GH

Jeff writes:

> File:  katf.vcf (135 bytes)
>  DL Time (28800 bps): < 1 minute

Okay, first- What's this attached file?  With all the viruses we have
screaming around the mailing lists these days, I hope you will do a good scan
of your system.

>  Hi all
>
>  	I need to know what water conditions (in general) are good for Dwarf
>  Cichlids.

In GENERAL- GH around 60ppm or less, KH around 60ppm or less, and pH below
7.0.  Specifically, it depends on the species.  Some of them want it softer
and more acidic.

>  	What I have now is:
>  General Hardness (GH): - Calcium and magnesius
>  54 DH
>  35.1 Clark
>  966.6 ppm

WOW!!!

>  Carbonate Hardness (KH): - Carbonate/Bicarbonate
>  2 DH
>  1.3 Clark
>  35.8 ppm

Good, but very wierd that GH and KH are so far apart.

>  Nitrite:  0
>  Ammonia:  0
>  pH:  6.5
>
>  	I am POSITIVE that my Ammonia and Nitrates are good, my Carbonate
>  Hardness (KH) looks good, but my General Hardness is off the scale.

Yep.  You  got that right.

>  What can I do for reducing that without messing with the rest of the
>  readings.
>
>  Thanks
>  	Jeff

First- try that GH test again, and get a second brand of test kit to see if
you get the same reading.  For 99% of the water supplies in the US, and
probably worldwide, the primary source of general hardness (Ca and Mg) comes
in the form of carbonates, which makes the GH and KH readings about even.  It
is possible that a carbonate source is reacting with an acid in the water and
neutralizing the majority of the alkalinity.  Also test your tap water.
Something in the tank, like coral gravel or seashells, may be pushing up the
hardness.

If indeed your tap water is that hard, your only hope is to use a
high-quality RO or DI unit.  They are fairly simple to use, and will deliver
water that is almost distilled in quality at a very low cost.  This will mess
with your other parameter values, but not in a manner that will cause you
trouble.

Bob Dixon