Re: How do I reduce my GH

Jeff writes:

> A While ago a friend told me to add some coral chips to my tank to bring
>  my pH Values up into the acceptable range.  (I have no idea what my pH
>  was because it didnt react at all with the test kit I had).  Now my pH
>  is good 6.5 but my GH (i didnt have a tester for GH at the time) is off
>  the scale.

Mystery solved.  Get rid of the coral.  You can use baking soda to neutralize
some acidity if necessary without raising GH.

>  quick trip to physics land:
>
>  low pH = Acid water
>  Acid eats away calcium
>  Calcium becomes my GH
>  and since my water was VERY acid (Had trouble keeping fish alive) LOTS
>  of calcium gets absorbed by the water.  I somehow think that i will have
>  to go the lake malawi route :(

Not so quick to Malawi Land.  If you want African Riverines, or Amazon
Apistos, just change substrates.

>  > If indeed your tap water is that hard, your only hope is to use a
>  > high-quality RO or DI unit.  They are fairly simple to use, and will
> deliver
>
>  my tap water has an acceptable pH and GH (where i get the acid from is a
>  mystery to me!

Again, the acidity, if not present at the tap is being caused by something in
the tank.  It could be peat, driftwood or some other organic.  If your CO2
levels are low at the tap, then there will be some reduction in pH as your
water absorbs CO2 and coverts some of it to H2CO3.  If you are injecting CO2
for plants in the tank, you are possibly injecting too much.

Why not start with an empty tank and meditate each item that goes into it?
Is this item stable?  Will it react with something else?  If you don't know,
ask us.

Bob Dixon