Re: How do I reduce my GH

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:
> Not so quick to Malawi Land.  If you want African Riverines, or Amazon
> Apistos, just change substrates.
>
> >  > If indeed your tap water is that hard, your only hope is to use a
> >  > high-quality RO or DI unit.  They are fairly simple to use, and will
> > deliver
> >
> >  my tap water has an acceptable pH and GH (where i get the acid from is a
> >  mystery to me!
>
> Again, the acidity, if not present at the tap is being caused by something in
> the tank.  It could be peat, driftwood or some other organic.  If your CO2
> levels are low at the tap, then there will be some reduction in pH as your
> water absorbs CO2 and coverts some of it to H2CO3.  If you are injecting CO2
> for plants in the tank, you are possibly injecting too much.
>
> Why not start with an empty tank and meditate each item that goes into it?
> Is this item stable?  Will it react with something else?  If you don't know,
> ask us.
>
> Bob Dixon

Here is a list of the items in my tank prior to the addition of the
coral.
1 piece of wood (some kind of dense root sold at the pet stores around
here)
1 piece of sandstone
1 shell (some kind of clam)
a plastic stump (sold at my lfs for decoration)
LOTS of java fern
LOTS of water sprite
rocks
ug filter

any good candidates?

I am going to replace my substrate at the next opportunity (next week i
think). Any suggestions for the "Ideal" substrate for apisto's? just so
I can get the best;)
I will start with the substrate and the plants, and keep an eye on
things.  I really want to do apistos.  I think i will set up another
tank with the hard water and try lamprologus lelupi (i love the color).
any other suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Jeff Katcher