Re: Nannacara anomala

Helen Burns wrote:

>Don't get me wrong she is fabulous, the only dwarf species I have observed that chews
>the food and spits it out in a cloud for the fry to eat.

Actually, I've observed this behavior in the world's smallest known cichlid,
Neolamprologus multifasciatus. It is a Tanganyikan "dwarf" shell-dwelling cichlid...
the male getting to be a max of 1.5" - 2" while the female is a tiny .75 - 1" at adult
size. I first observed this when I started putting in Wardley Shrimp Pellets as a
longer-term food that they could pick at and graze on ("they" being the fry). Well,
the younger ones couldn't really pick any off. This is when I observed the female
taking a large gulp and mouthing it. She would then deliberately find the largest
concentration of small fry in the tank and spit it out for them. She'd go back and
fourth doing this for the smaller fry. Quite interesting behavior, and fun to watch.

-- Derek Wingert