Re: Earthworm flakes / Flakes for Dwarfs

Hi Derek,

Nice to see that you are showing symptoms of Apisto
fever! :) Perhaps I can give you may opinion on your
questions.

Derek Wingert <dwingert@MNIC.net> wrote:
1.) Is it generally hard to get Apistogramma to eat
> flake food... even if I
> can get
> it to sink?
> 2.) What is your favorite food (live, dry, or
> frozen) to feed Dwarf
> Cichlids?
> 3.) What is your Dwarfs' favorite food (as far as
> you can tell)?

1) Yes and no. Some species will take to it right away
others will starve rather then eat it. I raise many
fry and I give them flake at about two months once a
day so that they are used to it. I sell many of my
fish commercially to wholssalers and fish farms and I
need them to be readily adaptable. Some of the best
candididates are A.borellii and A.cacatoudies. I think
if you offer it in the morning when they are hungry
and at a young age it will be easier.

2) By far the best foods are live. In fact without
live food or frozen food(second best, Frozen blood
worms being by the best frozen choice) you will
probably not breed any Apisto's. Don't be discouraged
though because God created the Brine Shrimp! It's
quick, easy, and best of all inexpensive. Though
prices have gone up to about $30-$40 a pound for the
eggs( I remember when I paid $8 pound for premium!)
It's still a bargin and you'll get your moneys worth
out of it. I know of many breeders that feed their
Apisto's nothing but bbs (baby brine shrimp) their
whole life! from day one to death! and they are very
succesfull at breeding all sorts of species. Personaly
I like to throw in some live foods for variety but bbs
is an easy 1st choice.

3)If I had to choose one it would be live blood worms.
My Apisto's hunt down every last one of these babys
when placed in their tank. Their kinda of a buzz in
the tank.

Hope this helps Derek and I hope you get full blown
Apisto fever! Good luck

===
David Sanchez
Casselberry, FL