Nematodes

Hi Folks,,

I had good luck treating a tank of wild caught Viejitta's last fall. These
fish definately had Nematodes. You can easily
see these worms hanging out of the fish's anus. They look like little red
brushes. You can actually see the worms
move also.

I read quite abit about what to use to treat these parasites. I found it
hard to locate Levamisole around the area I live.
I live in Ottawa, Ontario, and searched quite awhile in phone books before I
located any.  I finally found a Farm Co-op
outside the city that had a product that contained Levamisol. This product
is called Tramisol. This product is used to
de-worm sheep.  Huge pills.

These fish were in a 20 gallon tank, that was heavily planted. Accu-clear
filter and air stone running in the tank. I had no idea what sort of dosage
to use, but decided, that if I didn't try these fish would surely die. So, I
just guessed. I took 5 of these huge pills and ground them up in a blender.
I mixed the powder with tank water, (about 2 cups worth), and poured the
mess into the tank. The tank immediately went milky cloudy, hardly could see
the fish. The fish didn't mind at all though, and fed
normally that night. Next morning the tank was clear. (remove the carbon
when you do this treatment). I left the stuff in the tank another day, just
to be sure,, and next morning the tank was more cloudy than when I added the
Tramisol. Did a 60% water changed, added fresh carbon, and 1 day later tank
was crystal clear. None of the Viejitta's had any worms coming out of their
anus's. The fish during this whole treatment didn't stress out. They didn't
seem to be bothered at all by this stuff. Even when the tank was so cloudy
that I couldn't see them, they were fine.

I just noticed that the Krib published the posting I made to the digest last
year (grinnsss,, I am Published, hehe)