Re: Brazil fish pics

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, V Kutty wrote:
> My picks for the baby pike would be C. regani, followed by C. notophthalmus.
> It looks like a male.  If it is a C. noto, it will start sprouting
> independent, long spikey dorsal rays 1-5, ala male Rams but more pronounced.
> This will start happening very soon if it's a Noto.  Females of both these
> species sport dorsal fin spot/s.  If the fish grows larger then a dwarf,
> PLEASE let me know...you may then have something VERY interesting.

Haven't noticed spikes yet, I will go look again.  They are very cool,
never thought I would be getting into pikes!

> Could you describe its habitat, please?
Sandy shore, lots of dark brown leaves on the bottom, along by some logs.
They were specifically very heavy in the leaves, and along the log.  I
didn't realize what they were until I got them back to the boat, or else I
would have gotten more.  As it is I have 6, 3 males and 3 females it looks
like (2 strong dorsal spots and the third is developing some as well).
Sent 3 others home with Karen Randall as will.

Thanks
Kathy