Re: Re colorful apistos

Mike,

I am confused about the vertical rows of spots on
the tails.  My fish don't have these (at least
I have not noticed any).  However, if memory serves,
the pictures of A. cruzi in Mayland and Bork and
possibly Aqualog do have these.  I know these books
are known to be somewhat less than accurate as far
species identification but I remember thinking as
I was reading Mayland and Bork that the vertical
rows of spots on the tails of the A. cruzi were the
one obvious difference between my fish and the
pictures.  I wonder if the fish in Mayland and Bork
are not A. cruzi.  I will haved to look at them again
when I get home from work.

Paul Evans

--- Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>
wrote:
> Yes, it is close to both A. eunotus & A. cruzi. At
> normal Rio Tahuayo water
> conditions (pH<6 and very soft) the male's body is
> almost entirely blue. Unlike
> A. cruzi, the tail of the male shows a series of
> vertical rows of spots
> (sometimes very faint). A. eunotus shows a split in
> Bar 6 below the lateral band.
> A. sp. Rio Tahuayo doesn't show this split.
>
> Mike Wise
>
> Paul Evans wrote:
>
> > This sounds very similar to the A. cruzi that
> > I have.  Orange caudal, abdominal stripes, orange
> > pectoral spot, very long dorsal, anal, and ventral
> > fins.  The body has obvious blue sheen with some
> > scales very bright blue.  I would not call it a
> > bright blue over all.  I have been keeping them in
> > water that is near neutral (slightly over to
> slightly
> > under depending on the plants using the CO2 I am
> > injecting).  They spawned in water that was ph
> 6.8,
> > KH=2, GH=1.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --- Vern Wensley <vernwen@home.com> wrote:
> > > I forgot to mention that they have abdominal
> > > stripes.
> > > Vern

<HR>
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
transitional//en">
Yes, it is close to both A. eunotus &amp; A. cruzi. At
normal Rio Tahuayo
water conditions (pH&lt;6 and very soft) the male's
body is almost entirely
blue. Unlike A. cruzi, the tail of the male shows a
series of vertical
rows of spots (sometimes very faint). A. eunotus shows
a split in Bar 6
below the lateral band. A. sp. Rio Tahuayo doesn't
show this split.
A. cruzi that
orange
some
them in
slightly
ph 6.8,
has
long
around
fish.
apisto@majordomo.pobox.com.
unsubscribe or get help,
href="http://altavista.digital.com">http://altavista.digital.com</a>
for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!</blockquote>